|Photo by Haan-Fawn Chau|
If you care about this issue, here are more resources:
1. Sign the MoveOn petition, “Ban Violence and Sex on Billboards” (California)
2. Join the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood (national)
3. Support Ban Billboard Blight and follow their calls for action (Los Angeles)
To take action on an offensive outdoor advertising campaign in your city:
1. First, call the company responsible for the ad campaign (in this case, FX) to demand that the ad copy be replaced with less offensive content. Be sure to follow up. FX announced that the ads for “The Strain” would be pulled, but most remained up until after the show's premiere nearly a month later.
2. Call your city council to complain about the ad campaign and urge the council to put additional pressure on the media company to pull the offensive copy. The council will be effective and responsive in direct proportion to the number of constituents who call in.
3. To target a specific billboard, call the outdoor advertising company that owns the billboard.
4. Continue to advocate for stronger regulations on outdoor advertising.